Intro to Lit 2:00 - 3:15

Friday, April 15, 2011

SimplyLit

During the class I learned a lot more than I ever thought would be possible for me. I've said many times that I'm not a very big reader and it isn't my most favorite thing to do. Although this class is nothing but reading literature and reflection on it, I had a lot more fun than I initially thought.

Some of the topics that really made get inspired or angry were The Dumbest Generation and the section we did about books. First, we could be called the Dumbest Generation but with that I feel we deserve respect in being called one of the smartest too. We as a whole have come up with some amazing ideas and inventions that some of the past generations and even future generations might not ever thing about. When they called us "the Dumbest Generation," it just made me more motivated to prove them wrong. Maybe that was their point and it would have worked but it most likely wasn't.

Second, would be the book discussion we did during class. Yes, everybody argued about how books are so amazing and we would get very far without them. I agree a very tiny bit with the fact that we wouldn't get very far because books carry our past and history. Without them the generations coming wouldn't know much about our past and it would be total anarchy.

But, books aren't for everybody. We argued that books are so amazing and one of the most exciting things to do when you're trying to relax. To me that is complete garbage. There are so many other things out there to do that are way more fun and exciting and relating that sitting in a chair or wherever and reading a book of text. That to me is not fun at all but that is just my opinion. That is another thing I learned to do in this class was voice my opinion. I'm usually a very quiet kid in class and Intro to Lit really turned that around. Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. I was also somewhat angered after reading "The Dumbest Generation," but I do think Bauerlein makes some really valid points. I believe we are an extremely intelligent generation, but we have the technologies that other generations didn't have to enjoy. We are lazy and would rather sit and watch TV then read a book. As sad as it is, I would much rather watch TV or a movie instead of reading. I agree that we would not really get anywhere without books. What a strange world it would be not being able to reference anything tangible. I couldn't even begin to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we're the "dumbest generation" either. However, I think we do have our weaknesses that may come from the advanced technology that we have today. I also mentioned in my blog too that I didn't think I would enjoy this literature class as much as I did. It has given me some valuable info on the current issues that we are facing today. Now I am more aware of what we as a society should be more cautious about. I don't know if I would have ever learned about the topics discussed in class elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this class was going to be horrible because I don't enjoy reading, but I was completely wrong. I didn't like the dumbest generation either. If anything were the lazy generation but the next generation is just going to be even worse. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future and maybe we can say we mentioned that in our lit class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big reader and was dreading the books we had to read, but they weren't bad! They were actually really good books, very different. The dumbest generation thing was upsetting to me as well. I don't think we are the dumbest generation, but we could sometimes be "lazy". Many of us don't like reading and some of us do, but i still think we need to have books in our world. Overall, I enjoyed this literature class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you brought up the dumbest generation thing again. I believe that while in some lights we are dumb, we also are one of the smartest generations as well. I also liked how you brought up the arguments that came up during class discussions. I found them fun, and I think they made the class interesting.

    ReplyDelete